CPA for Law Officers

Stay on the Right Side of the Law with Help from a CPA for Law Officers

As an officer of the law, you likely have a lot on your mind, and a CPA for law officers can help. A professional can take care of your accounting and tax needs, reducing your chances of an audit and ensuring that your finances work hard for you.

Although any certified CPA will be able to provide you with financial services, the quality of those services may be lacking. That’s because not all accountants know the best ways to help police officers. There are many tax deductions and accounting considerations that are unique to law officers. A CPA for law officers has experience working with this unique subset of the population, ensuring that you can spend less time worrying about your finances and more time focusing on what you do best—keeping the public safe.

Keep more of your money with tax deductions

There are so many deductions that each and every one of us can file on our taxes every year, but they vary so widely that figuring out which deductions to take is impossible to do on your own. It can even be challenging for a professional accountant. But, that’s not the case if you choose a CPA who has experience working with law officers.

An experienced accountant can help you keep more of your money by helping you find deductions that other CPAs may not have considered:

  • Road tolls and parking costs
  • Uniform costs
  • Firearm costs
  • Continuing education
  • Meals
  • And more

Not only can a CPA for police officers help you find deductions, they can help you file your taxes properly, lowering your chances of an audit. A skilled accountant can also help you amend previous years’ tax returns.

Complete accounting services

Taxes only come around once a year, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be thinking about your finances throughout the year. A qualified CPA for law officers is able to help you with your taxes, but they will be able to help you with a wide variety of additional services as well.

When looking for an experienced accountant, look for a range of services that include:

  • Year-round tax planning and consulting
  • Damage calculations
  • Retirement planning
  • Budgeting and forecasting
  • Estate planning

One of the most important services a CPA for law officers can provide is litigation support. Police officers can find themselves in court for any number of reasons, and they’re more likely to spend time in the courtroom than anyone else. A skilled CPA can help with forensic investigations, provide court testimony, and even negotiate settlements.

Support your finances with the right accounting services

The search for the right accountant can be daunting, but you’ll know you’ve found the right team when you are able to see their portfolio and learn about their unique experience.

If you’re searching for the right financial support, give us a call today. Our CPA office is supported by a team of professionals who will make sure that you get the most out of your finances all year long.


CPA for law officers FAQ

If I’ve never owed money after a tax return before, why should I still look for a different CPA?

It’s always worth celebrating if you’ve completed your taxes and you don’t owe the IRS any money. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that your current method of filing taxes is efficient.

Just because you don’t owe any money doesn’t mean that you are paying your fair share. It could be that you’re paying way more in taxes than you should be because you aren’t filing the proper deductions. By searching for a CPA who has experience with law officers, you could end up getting an even larger deduction after your taxes are filed.

Do specialized accounting services for law officers cost more than generalized services?

In many professional areas, providing specialized services often costs more. That’s not likely to be the case when it comes to a CPA for law officers.

Instead, most accountants charge a flat fee or by the hour. For example, tax filing is usually charged by the hour, so the more involved your particular return, the more it will cost. Creating an estate plan may instead cost a flat fee.

It’s always a good idea to speak with your accountant about how much their services cost before they are rendered. That way you aren’t surprised by the bill.

What happens if I get audited?

If you receive a letter from the IRS stating that there’s an issue with a previous return, or that you’re being audited, it’s a good idea to call your accountant right away.

Most CPAs will provide a certain level of free audit support services on previous returns that they completed. Even if another tax professional filed the return, your current CPA is a valuable resource. They can help you assemble the right information and expedite the process to come to a resolution faster. It’s well worth any fees they might charge.